Among all sectors that have received the blessings of technology in abundance and continue to flourish further, communication stands at the forefront. Ever wondered how the simple idea of calling someone has also gone through an evolution through the past years? Gone are the days when you were solely dependent on your phone’s network for making calls. Running out of talk time balance? Cellular network is weak? All you need is a strong Wi-Fi connection, and you can make a call using your existing phone number. Wi-Fi calling isn’t as widely popular as regular phone calls yet but given how we’re adapting to technical advancements rapidly in all spheres of life, one won’t be surprised if it’s another ‘new normal’ in the coming days.
So, how does Wi-Fi calling work?
The brightest side of making a Wi-Fi call requires no special application or separate number. It is the same as making a normal phone call, except that the call goes through using an available Wi-Fi network and not cellular network. The only precondition is that your mobile phone must be enabled for Wi-Fi calling. Connect to the Wi-Fi and continue to make calls and send/receive text messages, as you do with normal calls and messages.
What are the benefits of Wi-Fi calling?
Wi-Fi calling is a simple process but has a handful of advantages that can make communication way easier.
- It is beneficial at times when your phone’s network is acting up, but you have a strong Wi-Fi connection handy. It ensures seamless connectivity in times of need.
- No separate application is required. If you want to make a call via WhatsApp or similar applications, it is necessary that both you and the person you are trying to connect to have the application installed. When it comes to Wi-Fi calling, no such thing is required. You don’t even need a separate phone number to make use of this feature.
- You don’t need to buy any special Wi-Fi pack to make a call. Your existing Wi-Fi connection is going to do the job.
- Wi-Fi calls come at no extra charge. As long as you’ve paid for the connection you are using, there’s no special charge that’s going to be levied for making calls.
- It is extremely easy to set up. Just make sure your phone is compatible with Wi-Fi calling, update the operating system, and turn on Wi-Fi calling. That’s it.
- It’s low on consuming data. Even if you are operating on a Wi-Fi pack with limited data, Wi-Fi calling isn’t going to eat it all up.
- You can make a Wi-Fi call even if the other person does not have a phone that supports the same. As long as they have a working internet connection, the call is going to get through.
- You can also use this feature while making international calls.
So, when are you trying this out?